The Community Action group at the High School proactively looks at ways to be of benefit within the local area.
During Activities Days the Community Action group members either act as a classroom assistant within one of our city-based Partner Primary Schools or go to STAA Allotments in St. Ann’s to conduct important work to develop and maintain the facilities, usually involving the preservation of wildlife habitats.
Major Community Action events include the annual weekend residential trip to Dovedale in the Derbyshire countryside in order to provide a rare opportunity for Year 5 pupils from local city-based primary schools to experience the fun and adventure of the great outdoors.
Pupils start with a 10 week induction programme which raises awareness of a number of related areas and helps provide knowledge, understanding and skills which can later be developed during their work in the community.
Other events include the annual Elderly Residents’ Christmas Party, and a Sport For All Festival to provide a fun afternoon for local city-based children. Pupils in the Community Action group are also responsible for completing a regular programme of Independent Volunteering in order to give back to their local community.
Responsibilities often range from helping at the local church, scouts group, after-school club, sports club, charity/charity shop, or simply by helping elderly or disabled neighbours with shopping, gardening, dog walking or jobs around the house.
Appeals for charitable organisations is an ever growing aspect of the Community Action group, through such charities as Children in Need. On a local level we are proud of our annual appeal for Christmas presents, and Easter eggs for children who use the local NSPCC Service Centre in Mapperley Park who might otherwise not experience such customs which are often taken for granted. In addition to this, collections in School have helped to raise a transport budget for providing bus and tram fare to enable young people to access the NSPCC Service Centre for the support required.
Each year the Community Action group makes donations to a number of charitable causes. These include:
- Food donations to Framework Housing Trust.
- Christmas food hampers which are distributed by Hyson Green Social Services to elderly people with substantial physical disabilities.
- Financial aid to Berridge Junior School, Hyson Green so that the children can go on a summer outing.
- A donation to Melbury Primary School, Bilborough to aid their fundraising activities for playground equipment.
- A donation to Nottinghamshire Royal Society for the Blind for their Christmas party.
- A donation to Men United Fathers' Network.
- Sponsoring students taking part in voluntary projects