A journey of discovery.
Find out more about life at Nottingham High Senior School.
Welcome to Nottingham High School
You would be forgiven for assuming that our consistently excellent results must stem from a very traditional approach to learning, but the reality could not be more different.
Step inside the formal exterior of the School and you will be immersed in a stimulating environment that exudes intellectual curiosity and adventure. It’s apparent in the passion of the staff for their subjects, in the lively debates in the classrooms and in the posters on the notice boards. Walk along the corridors and you’ll hear the laughter of relaxed, down-to-earth students at ease in their surroundings, enjoying school and, above all, keen to learn.
Aims and Ethos
We are an academic community where intelligent children from a wide variety of social backgrounds are given the maximum opportunity to strive for the highest standards.
We want children to develop their individuality and we must identify their talents in an environment where they feel safe and valued. Ours is a diverse, down-to-earth school which thrives on curiosity, challenge, encouragement and kindness; where everyone listens and responds to each other.
At Nottingham High School we:
- Build a culture of mutual respect and tolerance to equip our pupils with the skills necessary to live in a diverse society.
- Expect and achieve high standards in academic work and in behaviour, valuing each pupil’s individual journey.
- Maintain open communications between parents, staff and pupils to foster a partnership of learning.
- Provide a creative and vibrant environment through a variety of opportunities and activities to allow every pupil to explore and experiment as they learn.
- Provide a rich, stimulating and balanced curriculum that builds skills of independence, confidence and emotional resilience, through lessons which are challenging, engaging and exciting for all, to encourage an enjoyment of and love for learning.
- Provide outstanding pastoral care.
- Value and nurture each pupil as an individual, through our friendly, supportive and caring ethos. Celebrate the effort, achievements and talents of all.
So Much More
So Much More
Students here are offered a vast array of opportunities far beyond the classroom, gaining skills that prepare them for life, develop their current interests and explore new ones.
They may want to experience adventure through the Combined Cadet Force, Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme or our own Scout Group. Chess and Bridge create their own cerebral challenges, and the Community Action group teaches of the fulfilment that comes from contributing to wider society. That’s not to mention all of the opportunities for sport, drama, music and so much more.
Through tutor support and guidance we champion each individual student, nurturing their talents and encouraging them to pursue their interests and try new things. Discover more.
School of the Year Award
In 2019 we were pleased to be named the East Midlands Independent Secondary School of the Year by The Sunday Times.
Here at Nottingham High School we consistently maintain our top spot in the regional league tables for examination results, and in 2019 we jumped eight places up the national league table too. We were also incredibly excited to be named as the East Midlands Independent Secondary School of the Year in recognition of not only our excellent examination results, but also everything we offer beyond the classroom.
“Nottingham High has cemented its place this year as the independent school in the East Midlands with the most consistently outstanding academic results. The school has made a huge success of going fully co- educational three years ago, with boys and girls encouraged to achieve highly across a range of extra-curricular activities and to excel in the classroom. They leave Nottingham High as rounded individuals with experiences that will stand them in good stead as they move on to the next stage of their lives.” – Alastair McCall, Editor of The Sunday Times Parent Power, 2019.