The beginning of a new chapter.
Discover more about our thriving Sixth Form community here at Nottingham High School.
Welcome to our Sixth Form
Opportunity is everywhere in the Sixth Form at Nottingham High School; students have the chance to succeed here as part of a driven and positive academic environment where mutual respect is central.
Academically students will want to leave us with excellent A level results and a place to study on their preferred course at their chosen University. More broadly speaking, they will aspire to become so much more than the sum of their grades: to experience as much as possible beyond the classroom; to learn from the responsibility of leading others; to develop skills and interests that will serve them at university and in the workplace; to build friendships that will last for a lifetime.
Students here benefit from our expertise in every aspect of school life. Our focus is on supporting students as individuals, whether to help them make the transition into Sixth Form, to help guide their academic progress, or to provide support in making University and career choices. Learning extends far beyond the classroom here, and students can experience a range of opportunities that will open their eyes to life after A Levels.
Aims and Ethos
We are an academic community where intelligent students from a wide variety of social backgrounds are given the maximum opportunity to strive for the highest standards.
Ours is a diverse, down-to-earth school which thrives on curiosity, challenge, encouragement and kindness; where everyone listens and responds to each other.
At Nottingham High School we:
- Build a culture of mutual respect and tolerance to equip our students with the skills necessary to live in a diverse society.
- Expect and achieve high standards in academic work and in behaviour, valuing each student’s individual journey.
- Maintain open communications between parents, staff and students to foster a partnership of learning.
- Provide a creative and vibrant environment through a variety of opportunities and activities to allow every student to explore and experiment as they learn.
- Provide a rich, stimulating and balanced curriculum that builds skills of independence, confidence and emotional resilience, through lessons which are challenging, engaging and exciting for all, to encourage an enjoyment of and love for learning.
- Provide outstanding pastoral care.
- Value and nurture each student as an individual, through our friendly, supportive and caring ethos. We celebrate the effort, achievements and talents of all.
So Much More
So Much More
With increasingly fierce competition for top university places and jobs, students’ personal development and experiences outside of the classroom are just as important as their grades.
Sixth Formers here have the opportunity to lead others as part of our House and Prefect system, to perform on stage or on the sports field, to work with others in one of our societies, to travel as part of a trip or expedition, and so much more.
As well as sport and structured activities like the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and Combined Cadet Force there are countless other activities to try, from computer programming and climbing to debating and politics. If none of the existing clubs and societies appeal, there’s always the option to start one that does. Discover the opportunities.
Higher education and careers
Helping students to realise their ambitions for university study and their future careers is incredibly important to us.
Personal tutors, the Sixth Form team and our Careers department will offer expert guidance and support every step of the way, from researching and selecting the right courses and universities to helping complete UCAS forms and make the strongest applications possible.
We run special events explaining the university application procedure for both students and parents, focusing on the most important aspects of decision-making and tertiary education. We also provide advice on apprenticeships, with our focus always on the individual. Extra support is available for those applying for specialist courses such as Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science, as well as other courses at the most competitive universities. Our approach works; our students go on to study sought-after courses at prestigious universities both in this country and beyond.